How to dispose of your Palma Coffee bag

Though we understand that there is no net zero effect in what we do, we try to mitigate and

over compensate our efforts to be as sustainable as we can. Being an eCommerce store poses its own challenges with shipping, but since we are providing you with freshly roasted coffee, our packaging needs to preserve freshness AND have the ability to naturally decompose.


As we write this blog, we have just turned 1! A year ago while we were getting everything ready to start this business, choosing the right bag was a daunting task. Luckily we found the Biotre bags and though they are not a panacea, they help us get closer to our goal in the meantime.


Aside from the valve used to keep your coffee fresh, most of the bag is made from renewable materials. 60% is made from biodegradable wood pulp and should take around 90 days to break down in your home compost bin. If it heads to the landfill, it should break down in the same amount of time as newspaper. The remaining 40% of the bag is a polyethylene liner with an additive that allows it to break down over 5 to 10 years, much faster than a conventional fossil-fuel-based liner.


Want to properly dispose of your coffee bag? Follow these simple steps.



How to home compost your Biotre Palma bag:

  1. Peel off & remove sticker from bag

  2. Cut out degassing valve with scissors

  3. Cut the bag into smaller pieces for better composting results

  4. Lastly, place the valve and sticker in your trash bin and the cut up bag inside your compost.

























5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All